20% off* Wills and Powers of Attorney until 30 June

Financial Administration

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) can appoint State Trustees to manage and protect the financial and legal affairs of Victorians experiencing disability, illness or injury.

What is Financial Administration?

Financial Administration is a service provided by State Trustees where we are appointed as your Administrator by VCAT. As part of this service, we provide support to individuals who are not able to manage their own financial and legal affairs due to disability, illness or injury. As your administrator, we manage your money so that any bills, accounts and debts you have are paid on time, all while making sure you have money for personal spending. That way you can focus on living your life knowing that your finances are in good order.

How we support you

  • Budgeting assistance: We work with you to create a budget and plan for each bill to make sure you have enough money to pay them. 
  • Paying rent and bills: We pay regular accounts and bills from the money you have. 
  • Managing property: We support you living in your own home, or if needed, help you rent or sell your property. 
  • Maximising your income: We identify and collect any income you are due while checking for any additional income or benefits that you could be eligible for.
  • Working with agencies: We work with Centrelink, Department of Veteran Affairs, National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and international pension agencies to help you get any additional benefits you’re entitled to. 
  • Superannuation claims: We assist with early superannuation claims, including insurance-related claims. 
  • Managing debts: We manage all your existing debts and negotiate with creditors to explore repayment options to help reduce your stress of dealing with collection agencies.  
  • Legal matters: We investigate and manage any current or future legal issues you may have. We provide assistance with Transport Accident Commission (TAC) claims, WorkCover claims or other legal entitlements.
  • Financial independence: Where suitable, we work closely with you towards helping you gain financial independence.
  • Aged care transition: We assist with financial assessments, bond negotiations and property preparations. 
  • Aged care residence: We mange nursing home fees, pharmacy accounts and other expenses, allowing family members to focus on their loved ones. 

Make an enquiry

Enquire now for a free discussion about how we can help.

Key benefits

As part of our client’s support network, family members and other providers can have complete confidence that their loved one is supported with their everyday financial and legal affairs. This allows them to focus on their health and wellbeing.

an icon of a medal in blue and orange to describe State Trustees Accountability

Highest accountability

We’re appointed by VCAT and are governed by the Guardianship and Administration Act 2019, which ensures we operate at the highest level of integrity and accountability.

icon of paper in orange and a person in blue for State Trustees Personal Consultant

Personal financial consultants

Our helpful and experienced team customise our services to client’s personal needs and preferences, no matter how complex.

government backed icon

Government backed

We work side-by-side with the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (DFFH) to protect client’s interests and keep service fees as affordable as possible.

State Trustees icon of tick

Complete confidence

We’ve been supporting thousands of Victorians for over 80 years so clients can be assured they’re in the best possible hands.

How to access this service

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) can appoint us to manage the financial and legal affairs of you or someone you know, when they no longer have decision making capacity The process for this is:

  1. Apply to VCAT: Submit an application with supporting documents. 
  2. Assessment hearing: VCAT will review your application and may schedule a hearing.
  3. VCAT appointment: An administrator such as State Trustees may be appointed.

Contact us

For assistance with the VCAT application process.


“It’s a load off your shoulders. Things like utilities are sent to State Trustees and paid. Making decisions about bills is hard work, especially when you have a mental illness.”

– Francis

“It stops family fights, allowing people to have their finances looked after without the worry of having money taken by family members or spent incorrectly. For someone who can’t read or write, it gives them the peace of mind that things are explained, and someone is out there to care for them.”

– Rose

Working with the Office of the Public Advocate (OPA)

In Victoria, the roles of Guardian and Administrator are performed by two separate organisations. 

As Guardian, the Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) supports people with personal and medical decisions when they no longer have decision-making capacity and no other suitable person is available to help them. 

It is common for State Trustees and OPA to work together to support you or a loved one. 

Fee summary

We receive some funding from the Government to provide our services, and the remainder of our costs are covered by fees that clients pay directly to us. 

Income commission

Calculated on the gross income received during administration.

Gross income received Commission
Any income received from Centrelink and the Department of Veterans Affairs


All other income


Capital commission (realised assets)

Based on the gross value of any assets realised during administration.

Gross value of asset Commission fee
Up to $500,000


Greater than $500,000 and up to $1,000,000

$16,500 plus 1.5% of the amount over $500,000

Greater than $1,000,000 and up to $3,000,000

$24,000 plus 0.55% of the amount over $1,000,000

Greater than $3,000,000

$35,000 plus 0.44% of the amount over $3,000,000

Capital commission (unrealised assets)

Calculated on the gross value of unrealised assets when administration ends.

Gross value of asset Fee
Any value


Resources in more languages

View and download resources in more languages.

Frequently asked questions

What is Financial Administration?

Financial Administration is a service provided by State Trustees where we are appointed as an Administrator by VCAT. As part of this service, we provide support to individuals who are not able to manage their own financial and legal affairs due to disability, illness or injury. This can involve managing everyday finances, making sure the right entitlements are received, or solving a legal issue. We provide financial and legal support based on individual needs. 

How do I support a person who needs Financial Administration?

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) can appoint State Trustees to help someone as an administrator. For this to happen an application must be lodged and VCAT must be satisfied that the individual lacks decision-making capacity, an individual needs financial and legal support and there are no other suitable options such as family or friends or when all other options have failed. Prior to appointing State Trustees, VCAT will consider any investigation or recommendations made by State Trustees, The Office of the Public Advocate, medical professionals and the opinions of family, friends and primary carers regarding an individuals need for administration.    For more details on the VCAT process, contact us here

What are State Trustees’ obligations under the law?  

The powers and duties of State Trustees role as Administrator is governed by the Guardianship and Administration Act 2019. This legislation guides how we make decisions for you and explains what we need to do to help you. A key focus of the law is that we must work in line with what’s important to you and your goals, as long as this won’t cause you serious harm. We must also act sensibly and professionally to protect your assets and income.

How will State Trustees insure my assets?

We will review your insurance agreements to insure you are getting the best deal.

If necessary, we will work with your insurer or or our insurer to insure your personal assets.

How can State Trustees help me if I have a legal issue?  

As your administrator, we are responsible for protecting and managing your legal interest. If you have any current legal issues affecting your finances or property, you should talk to us about them when you first start working with us. If a legal issue comes up at any time while we are your administrator, please talk to us about it. One of our consultants will then be able to organise someone to look into it for you.  

How can State Trustees help me with my financial planning needs? 

Our financial planning services can help make sure your money, and any investments, property and assets you have, are set up in a way that works for you.

How can State Trustees help me with my tax?

We have a team of taxation specialists who are responsible for making sure your tax affairs are up to date and correct. They can also work to solve any existing tax issues you might have.

What is the number for VCAT?

The Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal can be contacted directly on 1300 018 228


How do I make a request for funds?

Use the live chat on the home page.

Or call us with your request on 1300 138 672, 8:30am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

How do I send an invoice for payment?

You can email your invoices to stl.invoices@converga.com.au or post to GPO Box 1461
Melbourne Victoria 3001. Please note this system will accept PDF documents.

How do I update my details?

To change your address, we’ll need your new one, the date you moved in and the name and the contact number of your landlord or real estate agent. If you have a lease, we’ll need a copy of that document, the bond amount (if needed), the amount of rent, board and lodgings and information about whether you pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

To update your bank details or bank organisation, we need the following filled out: Change Bank Details General Form or Change of Bank Details (overseas) Form and/or Change of Bank Organisation Form and sent either to: State Trustees Limited, GPO Box 1461, Melbourne, Victoria 3001 or via email at: pfa.east@stl.com.au

How long is a typical VCAT Financial Administration order?

Typically, a VCAT Administration Order is in place for 3 years.

How long does it take to get requested funds?

There are two payment runs each day. If you request money before 4pm you will receive it that evening. If you request money after 4pm, you will receive the next day.

Can I apply for a Bank or Centrelink Loan while under Financial Administration?

You are generally not permitted to apply for bank or Centrelink loans whilst under financial administration.

Aboriginal flag Torres Strait islander flag Pride flag
State Trustees Limited operates on the lands of Traditional Custodians. We acknowledge their history, culture and Elders past, present and emerging. State Trustees is committed to cultivating inclusive environments for staff and clients. We celebrate and value people of all backgrounds, genders, sexualities, cultures and abilities.

Original artwork ‘Four Sisters Coming Together’ by Melissa Bell 2023