text size


Who should I appoint as my Attorney?

The person you appoint as your power of attorney must be at least 18 years of age.
In most jurisdictions, and for most types of appointment (especially those involving financial responsibilities), the attorney must also not be an insolvent under administration.

In Victoria, your attorney under an enduring power of attorney cannot be your care worker, health provider or accommodation provider.

Additionally, if you wish to appoint an enduring power of attorney for financial matters, they must not have been convicted or found guilty of an offence involving dishonesty.

You may also appoint a trustee company, such as State Trustees, as your attorney for financial matters.

The person you choose should be someone you can trust, and they should have the experience, skills, resources, and time to properly fulfil the requirements of their role. They need to be aware in advance that the role of attorney can be a complicated, time-consuming, and demanding, especially if any family disputes arise.

You can appoint more than one person to act as your attorney but you must specify if they can make decisions for you independently or if they must make them jointly.

Let's Talk

We're here to help you every step of the way

Give us a call at 1300 138 672 or fill in the form to enquire about our services

Make An Enquiry

  • *Denotes a required field
    Any personal information you submit will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.