Paying for your funeral in advance
16 Nov 2016
Paying for your funeral
Have you considered paying for your funeral today and reducing the financial burden on your loved ones in the event of your death? If you choose to pay for your funeral ahead of time, tell your family so that there are no surprises for them later on.
Funeral costs can vary depending on the arrangements and choices you and/or your family make. Most of us don’t want to think about our funerals, however for those who want to get it sorted ahead of time, it is a good idea to investigate which payment option best suits your financial needs.
About pre-paid funerals
- A contract is written and you pay in advance at today’s price
- You can organise your own funeral arrangements (e.g. casket, flowers etc.)
- You can choose to make payment upfront or in instalments
- You can make provision for the full funeral cost regardless of your date of death
- Some pre-paid funeral plans are non-transferrable to other providers and may not be flexible if you choose to move interstate to live with family
- If you change your mind about pre-paying for your funeral you may not be able to get your money back
About funeral insurance
- In most circumstances you can get immediate cover
- Most providers pay out quickly which eases any financial burden on your estate
- There are a range of providers and plans to suit all budgets
- The benefit becomes payable on death and must be used to cover funeral expenses
This article is for general advice only and does not take into account your personal circumstances. For financial advice appropriate to your individual situation, consult a qualified financial advisor.
For more information visit
We're here to help you every step of the way
Give us a call at 1300 138 672 or fill in the form to enquire about our services