2014 CONNECTED Art Exhibition
A colourful portrait of comedian and actor Bryan Dawe has taken out first prize in the 12th State Trustees CONNECTED Art Exhibition.
Announced at an award ceremony at Deakin Edge yesterday, Julian Martin’s work was selected from more than 150 artists to take out top prize – a $1000 voucher and the opportunity for a two-week exhibition at No Vacancy Gallery.
A sketch of Rudely Interrupted band members by Jamie Dawes, himself a member of the band, received second prize. A moody landscape, Brewing Storm, by Gwenda Emond received third prize.
This follows the presentation of the $500 Office of the Public Advocate Prize to Kim Anderson for her portrait, The Burden, last week. The Burden provides an insight into her own experience with an eating disorder.
Curated by Andrew Chew from No Vacancy Gallery, the State Trustees CONNECTED Art Exhibition is a landmark event promoting social inclusion through art. The exhibition gives up-and-coming Victorian artists who have a disability or experience of mental illness the opportunity to showcase their work at a high-profile space, which attracts the support of Melbourne’s arts community and the general public.
This year, CONNECTED features more than 150 artworks shortlisted from nearly 600 submissions. The paintings, drawings, sculptures, photography and multimedia showcase a variety of styles and subjects, all of which demonstrate the powerful way that that art can project the voices of people who are often not heard in mainstream society.
The State Trustees CONNECTED Art Exhibition is on at the Yarra Gallery, Federation Square until 28 October 2014. Admission is free and most works are for sale ranging from $30 to $1800.
- 1st Prize ($1000 and a two-week exhibition at No Vacancy Gallery): Julian Martin, Untitled (Bryan Dawe)
- 2nd Prize ($500) : Jamie Dawes, Rudely Interrupted
- 3rd Prize ($250): Gwenda Emond, Brewing Storm
- Allan Merigan People’s Choice Award ($500): Justine Martin, Basil
- Office of the Public Advocate Prize ($500): Kim Anderson, The Burden
- Betty Anderson, Vertigo
- Christopher Mason, Annabelle
- Gaye O’Connor, Sonny and Cher
- Julie Rundle, Mo Mo
- Ken Chipman, Down by the Seaside
- Pezaloom, Self Portrait (Dopa-Kinesia Parkinson’s)
- Rosa Bartone, Stormy Stormy Night
- Rowan Tydell, In Abba World
- Ruth Howard, Untitled (Bryan Dawe)
- Stephen Smith, Butterfly Cottage
- Valerio Ciccone, Untitled (Alexandra Murray Leslie)
We're here to help you every step of the way
Give us a call at 1300 138 672 or fill in the form to enquire about our services